adore: (shadow)
[personal profile] adore
Open

adjective
or command

banging on the door
my knees pushed apart
hands groping the gaps in my ribs

hands over my head
flinching at future blows
I curl like a fetus

my arms wrap around me
I want to hold myself close
I'm cold at the thought

of the desolation
of land, sky and sea
laying themselves bare for me.

emotions naked on my face
heart uncaged by ribs
prisons are protective but I
am out in the open
free as prey

if anything happens to me they'll wonder why I was out there
surrendering
to the terrifying expanse of the horizon

to the small-mindedness of home
I never answered the door
I opened it when I left
the trees are rooted in place but straining
towards a gaping and ravenous sky
Depth: 1

Date: September 19th, 2026 02:18 pm (UTC)
humanbeansradio: (Default)
From: [personal profile] humanbeansradio
Free as prey... that's going to stick with me... damn. Solid.
Depth: 1

Date: September 19th, 2026 03:14 pm (UTC)
gardeningatnight: (Default)
From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight
The contrast of not answering the door, but opening it when you left was nice.
Depth: 1

Date: September 19th, 2026 04:54 pm (UTC)
adpazd: (Default)
From: [personal profile] adpazd
Wow. This was so evocative. Very well written.
Depth: 1

Date: September 19th, 2026 05:01 pm (UTC)
jajalala: Photo of porcelain squirrel eating a nut (Default)
From: [personal profile] jajalala
This is pretty, thank you for sharing!
Depth: 1

Date: September 19th, 2026 05:48 pm (UTC)
adoptedwriter: (Default)
From: [personal profile] adoptedwriter
“ emotions naked on my face
heart uncaged by ribs
prisons are protective but I
am out in the open
free as prey”. This whole section. Wow! Yes!
Depth: 1

Date: September 19th, 2026 06:51 pm (UTC)
simplyn2deep: (Hawaii Five 0::Kono::red top)
From: [personal profile] simplyn2deep
This felt so raw and vulnerable. I really liked the way “open” keeps shifting in meaning, from a command that feels threatening to emotional exposure to, finally, an action the speaker chooses for themselves. There’s such a difference between having something forced open and deciding to open the door yourself, and that transformation gave the poem a really strong arc.

The ending especially stayed with me. The speaker never answers the door, but they *do* open it when they’re ready to leave. And I loved the final image of the trees: rooted in one place, yet still reaching toward this enormous, hungry sky. There’s fear in stepping out into that openness, but also freedom—and I like that the poem doesn’t pretend those two things can’t exist at the same time.
Depth: 1

Date: September 19th, 2026 07:01 pm (UTC)
bleodswean: (Default)
From: [personal profile] bleodswean
I really resonate with your response to this prompt, and this is a very bold poem that feels like freedom!
Depth: 1

Date: September 19th, 2026 08:32 pm (UTC)
drippedonpaper: (Default)
From: [personal profile] drippedonpaper
One has to take the risk to grow. We cannot learn without the journey.

Very thought-provoking!
Depth: 1

Date: September 19th, 2026 08:36 pm (UTC)
haunted_cherries: harumasa from zenless zone zero wearing a suit and holding a phone (harumasa)
From: [personal profile] haunted_cherries
Being able to exist in the same universe as your writing has me GIDDY. A lovely, thought-provoking poem!! ❤️❤️
Depth: 1

Date: September 19th, 2026 09:46 pm (UTC)
bsgsix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] bsgsix
I really like the contrasts here (small at home, the world being large; the opening yet unanswered door). Your last few words are evocative as well: "Towards a gaping and ravenous sky" is so, so lovely and ominous, all at once.

This is bold, painful, and naked. Thank you for sharing something this personal; it works very well! <3
Depth: 1

Date: September 20th, 2026 07:36 pm (UTC)
blackcatofmisery: Question Hound from the comic Gunshow by KC Green (this is fine)
From: [personal profile] blackcatofmisery
The ending is hopeful for the future yet still cynical. It's definitely not idealist. There are contrasts that don't allow you immediate relief and healing, but there is still a chance. I like the the being the for that.

=^..^=~
Depth: 1

Date: September 20th, 2026 11:33 pm (UTC)
muchtooarrogant: (Default)
From: [personal profile] muchtooarrogant
You packed quite a lot into a small number of words.

I enjoyed:
surrendering
to the terrifying expanse of the horizon

to the small-mindedness of home


Well done.

Dan
Depth: 1

Date: September 20th, 2026 11:36 pm (UTC)
d3bansen: (Default)
From: [personal profile] d3bansen
This is so beautiful, I love the part reaching the end

prisons are protective but I
am out in the open
free as prey

if anything happens to me they'll wonder why I was out there
surrendering
to the terrifying expanse of the horizon


Wonderfully written <3
Depth: 1

Date: September 21st, 2026 01:54 pm (UTC)
xyla: (Default)
From: [personal profile] xyla
I absolutely love this and the line *Free as prey.* is gonna live in my head rent free too.
Depth: 1

Date: September 21st, 2026 11:21 pm (UTC)
halfshellvenus: (Default)
From: [personal profile] halfshellvenus
I never answered the door
I opened it when I left

I liked these lines and the idea behind them.

I could almost read this as an experience of agoraphobia, where the outside is too much for any number of reasons. That feeling of being exposed in the open fits that.
Depth: 1

Date: September 22nd, 2026 01:26 am (UTC)
ofearthandstars: A single tree underneath the stars (Default)
From: [personal profile] ofearthandstars
the trees are rooted in place but straining
towards a gaping and ravenous sky


I am left with these lines, wondering about being both bound to a place or a past but also climbing up and out of it. (This is lovely.) ♥
Depth: 1

Date: September 23rd, 2026 04:00 am (UTC)
goldmourn: (Default)
From: [personal profile] goldmourn
it's fantastic to see a poem!

"if anything happens to me they'll wonder why I was out there
surrendering
to the terrifying expanse of the horizon"


beautiful.
Depth: 1

Date: September 23rd, 2026 05:35 pm (UTC)
poppetawoppet: (xylophone)
From: [personal profile] poppetawoppet
I love this a whole lot
Depth: 1

Date: September 23rd, 2026 06:07 pm (UTC)
From: [personal profile] legalpad819
Beautifully done.
Depth: 1

Date: September 23rd, 2026 06:18 pm (UTC)
purplepetrichor: (Default)
From: [personal profile] purplepetrichor
I love seeing poetry submitted.

I never answered the door
I opened it when I left


Love the contrast there. Great job!
Depth: 1

Date: September 23rd, 2026 08:09 pm (UTC)
scribblesinblue: a gift set of a blue quill pen with a reddish ribbon around it, an inkwell, and a box with a stylized lining (Default)
From: [personal profile] scribblesinblue
"adjective or command" - that's brilliant! Accurate and succinct.

And also the contrast between how big and overwhelming the outside world is and how small and confining (and infantilizing too maybe?) home can be.
Depth: 1

Date: September 23rd, 2026 08:22 pm (UTC)
murielle: Me (Default)
From: [personal profile] murielle
"free as prey"
Wow! Yes!
This!
❤
Depth: 1

Date: September 24th, 2026 01:50 am (UTC)
onda_bianca: (Default)
From: [personal profile] onda_bianca
"Free as prey" is a WHOLE LINE. Wow.
Depth: 1

Date: September 24th, 2026 08:19 pm (UTC)
From: [personal profile] eeyore_grrl
Always happy to see poetry!

"to the terrifying expanse of the horizon". Legit
Depth: 1

Date: September 25th, 2026 02:37 pm (UTC)
lapis_lazuli615: (Default)
From: [personal profile] lapis_lazuli615
Not sure quite HOW this makes me feel, but it definitely makes me feel SOME way.

Depth: 1

Date: September 26th, 2026 09:13 pm (UTC)
kandigurl: (Default)
From: [personal profile] kandigurl
Gorgeous imagery, loved reading this!
Depth: 1

Date: September 27th, 2026 12:40 am (UTC)
alycewilson: Photo of me after a workout, flexing a bicep (Default)
From: [personal profile] alycewilson
I like how vividly you capture the feeling of being exposed and vulnerable: whether it's being open about emotions or whether it's being outside in a dangerous location.

Profile

adore: (Default)
Mynah

September 2026

S M T W T F S
  123 4 5
678 9 101112
131415 161718 19
2021 2223242526
27282930   

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags